The summer heat can be harsh on all exterior things on and around your home. The hot sun can take a toll on things and overtime can cause premature fading, peeling, and discoloration of your doors and asphalt as well as make your landscaping look like a dry dessert if not taken properly care of. So here are a few tips to maintain the appearance and longevity of your home during these harsh summer months.
- Be sure to sealcoat your driveway every 2 years, doing this is usually inexpensive and adds longevity to your driveway by reducing the amount of cracking as well as improves the overall appearance.
- For any stainable or Fiberglass front doors be sure to varnish them every year! Doing this is super important to reduce the amount of cracking and peeling. If you keep up on this it makes it much easier each year since you shouldn’t have to strip and refinish it. We recommend using a varnish or oil based paint.
- Be sure to water your parkway trees, bushes, and landscape buffer. We recommend watering them every 3 days, 1/2 hour each with steady water. If the weather gets hotter water every two days. Keeping up on this will keep them alive and prevent the need to have to have them replaced.
- Fertilize your lawn a minimum of 3 times throughout the Spring/Summer months. Grass needs nitrogen and other nutrients to feed it during the months of its active growth. Its simple fertilizing your grass is like feeding it, a fertilized lawn will be healthier, thicker, and have less weeds!
- During the summer months your air conditioner unit is usually working overtime! Make its job easier by keeping it clean and clear of debris. This will help it to operate more efficiently keeping your home temperatures and your electric bills down!
- Check to make sure your window wells are clear of debris and the drains are clear for efficient drainage.
Summer is a great time to slow down, enjoy the weather, and cherish all the new memories you create with your family in your home! Have a fun and safe summer!
The MC Custom Homes Team