Have you always dreamed of building a new home? There is nothing like a “NEW” home! You can pick out every little detail to make it exactly what you want, everything you’ve dreamed of! As great as that sounds, it can also be overwhelming, stressful & time consuming if you aren’t prepared. We’ve created this blog to provide some guidance and allow you to make this an exciting and enjoyable experience! Here are some tips and tricks.
- Watch the Market: It’s so important to go out and look at a bunch of different properties before making any decisions. Download a real estate app and watch all the listings in the areas you’re considering. Make it a new hobby for you!
- Compare Builders: Read testimonials! Ask for referrals from people you know. 75% of our business here at MC Custom Homes is from referrals. It’s the best compliment we can get! Also, compare what materials are being used; usually if a builder is less expensive there’s a reason. Cheaper usually isn’t better when building a home!
- Future Plans: Even though you may not have children or pets at the time you build, think about how long you’re planning on living there. If you’re considering having children, pets, or family members moving in, be sure to consider all factors such as yard size and fence policies, number of bedrooms, and storage space.
- Location, Location, Location: Think about where you work and its proximity to your home. Long commutes get old quick! Look at highway accessibility, nearby schools, hospitals, churches, shopping, and gym’s.
- Budget: Just like planning your wedding it’s easy to get caught up in wanting every option. Have a budget in mind and prepare for some unexpected things along the way such as extra electrical outlets and added lighting. With MC Custom Homes, we include most of those things, but many builders do not. It’s always smart to put aside a little extra in your budget just in case. We always say if you’re working with a budget consider how easy it is to add after closing when choosing which options you would like to do.
- Living Space: Sit down and thoroughly review your floor plan. Look at its functionality whether you’re living alone, a family of 5, or approaching retirement there are many things to consider. You may have a large family or a ton of friends and need a great open space for entertaining. You may want a functional mudroom and organization area for all those backpacks, or if you’re getting up there in age consider having a first floor master bedroom.
- Energy Efficiency: Ask about the projected energy rating of the home. Be sure your builder is using high quality windows and HVAC equipment. This is an important factor to help save you money in the long run.
- Stay Organized: From your first meeting create a spreadsheet to keep track of each option, and get a folder to hold all your paperwork. This will keep you organized and help you stay on track with what selections need to be made and when. Proper planning pays off!
By asking the right questions and staying organized building a new home can be a fun and enjoyable process! Good Luck!
MC Custom Homes Team